Job Description – Accounting/Bookkeeping Associate Position
The Mule Deer Foundation (MDF) Accounting/Bookkeeping Associate (Accounting Associate) will be a valuable member of the MDF Team and report directly to the MDF Chief Financial Officer to assist with administration, accounting, oversight, finance management, and support MDF’s Accounting and Fundraising programs. The incumbent will be responsible for assisting the MDF Accounting staff in managing and maintaining accurate and transparent financial data on a timely basis, help develop and implement strong internal controls, work with local MDF chapters to accurately reconcile and record fundraising activity and assist in accounts payable and state compliance. The Accounting Associate position is to support strategic initiatives and long-term goals undertaken by MDF throughout the United States. The Accounting Associate will coordinate closely with MDF’s Fundraising Team and provide support and administrative duties as needed.
Position Duties and Responsibilities.
- Maintain accounts payable, ensure timely payment of invoices, confirming validity of the debt and gathering appropriate signatures
- Updating financial records via accounting software
- Analyze and reconcile banquet/event financial packets timely and accurately
- Reconcile chapter bank accounts on a monthly basis
- Review and analyze financial data from various revenue sources
- Maintain detailed and organized files related to state compliance
- Provide support and prep work as part of the MDF annual financial audit
- Maintain a level of trust and accountability with all MDF staff
- Build and maintain relationships with MDF Regional Directors and provide support as needed
- Work with local MDF chapters and maintain updated banking information
- Work with a variety of banking institutions to open accounts, order checks and setup online access
- Know and understand compliance requirements for operating in individual states, file required paperwork, including required tax filings and maintain certificate of good standing for those states
- Other duties as assigned
Education requirements: High School Diploma or equivalent. Associate degree or higher preferred.
Experience requirement: 2 years of experience related in financial or accounting functions, administrative functions, or executive assistance. A combination of these is considered appropriate.
- Basic understanding of accounting concepts and generally accepted accounting principles
- Integrity and the ability to maintain a level of confidentiality
- Strong analytical and review skills
- Detail oriented and the ability to multitask
- Self-motivated and able to stay on task with minimal supervision Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational, and administrative skills
- Ability to work with a wide range of people with differing and sometimes conflicting opinions.
- Ability to work well and be flexible in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to represent MDF in a clear and professional manner through excellent written and oral communication, and interpersonal skills; and
- A strong attention to detail, with skill in working in a timely and well-organized fashion.
Salary/Benefits: $40 – $50K, DOE. Health Insurance and 401K.
Location: This position is located at the MDF HQ in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Travel: Successful applicant will have occasional travel.
Successful candidate will be required to pass a background check and drug test as condition of employment with MDF.
MDF is an equal opportunity employer and a drug free workplace.