The mission of the Mule Deer Foundation is to ensure the conservation of mule deer, black-tailed deer and their habitat.
The Mule Deer Foundation is the only conservation group in North America dedicated to restoring, improving, and protecting mule deer and black-tailed deer and their habitat, with a focus on science and program efficiency. Our conservation programs combined with our grassroots support are the foundation of who we are as an organization. We are committed to sustaining our western deer populations by ensuring quality habitat in the areas deer need on a daily, seasonal, and yearly basis. Our conservation efforts are delivered through efforts by MDF staff and in partnership with state and federal agencies as well as other non-profit organizations.
MDF is also a strong voice for public access, wildlife management, and conservation policy issues. We support regulated hunting as a viable component to wildlife management and we are committed to mentoring the next generation of sportsmen and women into the traditions of hunting, shooting sports, and conservation.
MDF is dedicated to the following goals:
- To restore, improve, and protect mule deer habitat (including land and easement acquisitions) resulting in self-sustaining, healthy, free ranging, and huntable deer populations.
- To encourage and support responsible wildlife management with government agencies, private organizations, and landowners.
- To promote public education and scientific research related to mule deer and wildlife management.
- To support and encourage responsible and ethical behavior and awareness of issues among those whose actions affect mule deer.
- To support regulated hunting as a viable component of mule deer and black-tailed deer conservation.
- To develop programs that focus on recruitment and retention of youth into the shooting sports and conservation.