Mule Deer Foundation – California Regional Director
Field Operations is the primary fundraising structure of the Mule Deer Foundation (MDF). Regional Directors organize local volunteer chapters to hold fundraising events in support of the continued mission accomplishment of MDF, ensuring the conservation of mule deer, black-tailed deer and their habitat. Although primarily a fundraising position, Regional Directors also represent the organization with many State and Federal agencies, along with other related Conservation groups and events. As such, a thorough understanding of MDF programs and conservation efforts is critical.
Director of Field Operations
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Prepare annual budget projections for Director of Field Operations approval, maintain a consistent net increase year over year and effectively develop and share new fundraising ideas.
2. Develop, organize and guide chapter committees with the planning and execution of successful fundraising events, including virtual event opportunities, to meet annual budget.
3. Work closely with Chapter Committees to ensure effective event planning (merchandise, venue, etc.) and subsequent event reporting (preliminary and final financial reporting) consistent with MDF established practices and procedures.
4. Complete and submit in a timely manner all forms and reports regarding chapter development, event planning and event reporting as outlined in MDF’s processes and procedures.
5. Engage with State Chairs and Chapter Committees to recognize volunteer efforts, drive greater awareness of MDF and explore opportunities to expand MDF’s presence.
6. Develop an awareness and understanding of current issues within the wildlife conservation industry and possess the ability and willingness to share this knowledge with others (members, supporters, media, etc.) as needed, in an informative and timely manner.
7. Ensure volunteer/chapter compliance with financial policies and operating/reporting procedures, in accordance with both MDF and state requirements relating to gaming and reporting obligations.
8. Promote the MDF Outreach Program within the Chapter framework and assist Chapters with
initiating, planning and conducting related events.
9. Leverage various media platforms (social media, traditional media, speaking opportunities, etc.) to promote MDF goals, objectives and accomplishments at the state and local levels.
10. Support the MDF national convention efforts, working with the convention team, volunteers, vendors and donors; advise convention team of possible sponsorship opportunities and assist with these opportunities as appropriate.
11. Along with State Chair, serve as co-chair of respective Project Review Committee(s) (PRCs) and the related Chapter Rewards program to recommend strategic conservation projects for funding.
12. Submit State Spotlights, News from the Field and related updates for the MDF member magazine and related publications.
13. In consultation with MDF leadership, be prepared to address issues regarding MDF activities, programs and policy positions as situations arise.
14. Inform Director of Field Operations on all pertinent matters in a timely manner.
15. Submit ad hoc reports, as requested from time to time by the Director of Field Operations, in a thorough and timely manner.
16. Possess working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word and Excel).
17. Other duties as assigned.
Extensive travel is required. Individual must be able to work any day of the week, including Saturdays and Sundays. Individual must be able to work late at night (often until after midnight). Individual must be capable of sitting for long periods in a car or on an airplane. Must be able to work at a computer terminal for extended periods, stand for intervals of two to six hours and lift heavy items (up to 50 pounds).
Location: California, with a preference to be centrally located within the primary area of responsibility.
* The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of the job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements. The MDF is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit conservation organization.
Interested applicants are asked to send cover letter and resume to Mike Laughter, Director of Field Operations, at email@example.com. MDF is an Equal Opportunity Employer.